Monday

Motorola Razr2 Sidewalk Art

Apparently my previously bi-weekly postings have devolved into a once monthly affair, and for this I act contrite. Things are somewhat overwhelming across the pond over here in Barcelona right now; travel, work at ACV Global, and school have been keeping me pretty tied-up, and away from US Advertainment. However, it is always in my mind…in fact, through many of my travel exploits, having a camera in hand has been a positive for this blog. In fact, while the campaigns that I have seen here are not of the American variety, I feel as though some of the cool things (namely guerilla marketing tactics) that I have seen first-person here in Barcelona merit a position on this blog.

Recently Motorola had a nice little event down by the Mediterranean in Barceloneta (actually very close to my place) for their Razr2 (the new generation of the Motorola Razr being marketed with hopes of resurrecting the success of the initial model…and doing so much more than the Krazr even did). The best part of the event was a bit of sidewalk art. I have always been a Julian Beever enthusiast, as he is one of the best sidewalk artists that I have ever seen. I am not sure who exactly created this piece for Motorola, but it is of extremely high quality as well, and it was even better before the bicycle wheels, and people’s feet got to it and distorted it a bit.



I have always found sidewalk art to be a great unconventional marketing technique. While the exposure is obviously sub-par, the impact that the ads have is enormous. The other obvious problem is perishability, as the less-than-excellent picture above shows…if people don’t see the ads quickly, they aren’t likely to see them in good quality, if at all. However, I still believe that they are an excellent way to generate awareness, and spur a lot of good word-of-mouth. This is exactly what Motorola will need to break into the already over-saturated cell phone market with their Razr2 here in Spain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sidewalk art is indeed done by Julian Beever.
:)

Calvin Smith said...

Thanks for the info.! Were you involved with the campaign?

Anonymous said...

Fret not for the worn-off drawing.

Here r some that was taken when it was freshly done.

Cheers ;)

http://flickr.com/photos/motomobiledevices/sets/72157603956733386/